Friday, March 20, 2009

Stake Conference

This past weekend was our Stake Conference. We had the opportunity to hear from our Stake President and his counselors, as well as, Elder Pocock and Elder Holland! It was a great experience for our little family to hear from all of these men. The spirit was strong and their messages were beautiful. At the Saturday session Elder Holland didn't prepare anything for his talk, he said, "I just want to talk with you." He then went on telling us of his love and concern for all of us, as if he wanted to get to know us personally, you could really feel his compassion towards us. What a wonderful man!
Because of his love and concern he pounded on the pulpit and said don't you dare lose your faith when storms come, that is when you need it the most. I've known how important faith is, but Elder Holland spoke about it in such a unique, spiritual way that it seemed completely new to me. It was like my eyes were opened finally. I didn't have anything to take notes and I was wrestling with Anna, so I can't remember most of his other points, but that one point made me realize that there really is no more sitting on the fence. I've always been quiet and never wanted to talk about the church to anyone because I didn't want to put any pressure on them, or offend them. But what I realize now was that I wasn't following the Spirit or relying on my faith. I can't be afraid anymore because this is the time when we need to put our trust in Lord, he won't led us astray. I think that I will always stress about bad times, and standing for something openly, but I know that Heavenly Father will be there, the Lord is on our side.
This doesn't come close to what I am trying to express, but I wanted to share a little of what I learned that has strengthened my testimony.
Ernie and I watched as a line was formed to shake Elder Holland and Elder Pocock's hand. They did not leave until every person that wanted to shake hands with them were shook. We know because we were one of the last people to shake hands with them. What wonderful men!
In the spirit of General Conference that is coming up here is another wonderful man.
I got this in an email from mom. It is a beautiful clip made by the Relief Society from one of Elder Uchtdorf's talks.

2 comments:

Cheramie said...

i love elder holland, sounds like stake conference was a success!

The Larsen's said...

Thanks Angie! Really needed to hear that. Thanks for your testimony,too. Love ya! Hope you had an awesome 25th birthday!